Monday, May 27, 2013

Guinea's beautiful scenery: Kassa

On another long weekend - the ship has scheduled long weekends about every 6 weeks where those people that do not HAVE to be there for patient or ship care can get a little more of a break.  Nicole's birthday was right before one such weekend, so we took a little trip to Kassa, one of the islands, and stayed in a hotel.
The island in the distance is Roume, the other island I got to visit about 3x while in Guinea.


Our little section of beach, but we explored both directions a bit more, having fun playing on the rocks and seeing other MS folk set up in a hammock camp further up the beach.  

 It's hard to get enough sunset pictures...  In the daytime though, I got to take a run through the fishing village Juan and I had explored on an earlier trip to Kassa.  A couple little girls tagged along for a portion of my run, and as a found myself on a road unsure if I was heading back towards the hotel or not, I came across about 6 other girls from MS who were looking for a good place to camp for the night.  I directed them towards a good spot on the beach, and they said I was on the right track towards the hotel.


Our casita for the night


When the tide went out, you could actually see all the rocks you stepped on while the tide was in.  I managed to swim out to a big rock during high tide, but as the water receded by the time I swam back I ended up scraping my stomach in the 6-12 inches of water over the rocks.
It was great just to have time to relax and enjoy the scenery, without anything we HAD to do except sleep, explore, eat and read if you brought a book.  Although we did try to solve the world's problems one night...

No comments:

Post a Comment