Tuesday, June 19, 2012

It's all about effort and attitude!

So when I was in high school, we had a couple basketball t-shirts with sayings on them...one reminiscent of Notre Dame: "Play like a champion today", and the other I think Coach Harvey kinda made up himself: "It's all about effort and attitude".

I might not play that much basketball anymore (sadness I know...but I would love a game of pickup if anyone's interested), but I've been struck recently be how true that second quote is in life...  A few examples:

In my last rotation, I was in an office where the 'leader' was the doctor, though unofficial, he is the one in the position of power afforded by his credentials.  Effort I can't necessarily speak to as I am unaware of the productivity and things along that line, however attitude was easily observable.  I was at 2 clinics a week for the same practice, however different staff at the 2 locations.  They were set up similarly - 1 MD, 2 PA's, multiple medical assistants and office staff.  However, the palpable feel was very different, and as I spent more time there, I believe the attitude of the "leader", in this case the doctor, makes a huge difference in the overall attitudes of the rest of the staff - which were constantly complaining, often out on sick days, often upset.  In this clinic the doctor had many complaints as well, and seemed to expect others to fix problems that affected him which he could also help fix.  In the other clinic, things were busier as far as caseload it seemed, however the MD and his main PA took it in stride and maintained a good attitude - joking, seriously considering problems without yelling or demeaning another, teaching other staff as they went along.

So I tried a little experiment - with the office that needed an attitude adjustment, I tried to be very friendly, not get into too much gossip, constantly ask if there were ways I could help, and even brought them some ice cream sandwiches on what seemed like it was a very stressful day.  And while they seemed to have a fabulous opinion of me with all that, it didn't seem to do much to alleviate the overall tension and attitude of the office.

So that led me to conclude that 1 random happy person cannot completely change attitudes, however 1 well positioned person can definitely sour attitudes (and hopefully improve them as well).  I guess I'm a little naive to just be struck with this so much at this particular time - thus far I have been blessed to have bosses who do lead by example and work to create solutions rather than complain about circumstances.

So that being said, if you are in a position of power and/or influence (as said at Second Mile), your attitude will greatly affect the quality of life of those around you - use it for good!  And since we all have someone(s) we influence somehow, it's a challenge to myself to not complain, but seek to improve bad situations, and as I Peter 2:23 says, "When they hurled insults at him, he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he ENTRUSTED HIMSELF TO HIM WHO JUDGES JUSTLY."  


If I entrust myself, my job (or current lack thereof), my relationships to the Lord, it puts a different light on things - I don't need to complain, or throw myself a pity party, or sulk when things don't go my way - instead  I need to keep looking for what the next opportunity God may have for me is, and try to consider what He may be trying to do in my/other's lives with my current circumstances (not that I may ever realize what that may be).

1 comment: