Friday, May 25, 2012

Unexpected Grace

Today, on my very last day of work in Ft. Myers, I sped by a cop.  Utoh...  Immediately I slowed, but he pulled a U-turn and pulled me over (it's only an 8 minute drive to work, but yes, I was speeding)  48 in a 35 to be exact. 

Mr. Officer asks for my license, registration, and proof of insurance.  I get everything out and then as I look at my wallet realize that my license is in my gym bag, at home.  He thinks I mean it's packed in all my stuff in the back of my car (since I'd loaded up most of my belongings last night), but no, it is back at the condo, in my gym bag with my travel pass.  another utoh.  So now I'm looking at speeding AND driving without a license and I'm an out of stater...  So he takes down my info and is gone a long time.  I finish my smoothie (bananas, KALE, and berries).  So he comes back with my info and a white piece of paper in his hand.  Utoh...

Then he explains, this is a written warning, not a ticket, to buckle up and have a nice day...
That's when I start crying.

Why is it that the 2 times I get pulled over and don't get a ticket when I was speeding I start crying AFTER they tell me I don't get a ticket, but the one time I actually get a ticket for speeding I don't cry at all?

I think it's grace, and how it's something we don't deserve...

Perfect example of how God's grace leads us towards repentence.

"Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, tolerance and patience, not realizing that God's kindness leads you toward repentance?"  Romans 2:4

When I actually did get a ticket, there was a consequence, one that I could meet on my own, pay the fine for what I did wrong, accepting the consequences for a known wrong doing (I think that one was 77 in a 65...or maybe 72 in a 55...I don't remember (thankfully it wasn't reckless driving though!) )

However, when we're talking about life here, there's no way I can repay all of the ways I've missed the mark of perfection, that's a fine I cannot pay in and of myself to get back in the "black" with God.  So I could try to get around paying the consequences, and go to a "jail" of the most awful kind because I just keep ignoring the 2nd, 3rd notice that arrive and tell me I haven't paid the sign.  Thankfully God often gives us even more "notices" than that, but how often do we ignore them?  Somewhere along with way maybe one of the "notices" sink in and we realize we CANNOT pay out the huge fine that now sits with our name on it.  Gazzillions of Euros (since those are worth more than dollars) owed because of these little lawbreaking things I've done.

Then Someone comes along and offers to pay your fine. 
      WHAT?!  How in the world do you have gazzillions of euros?  You look pretty ordinary, nice, but ordinary to me... 
      "Well", He says, "I do own the cattle on 1000 hills, but this takes even more than that.  It'll cost my life, but you're worth it." 
      WHAT?!  You're willing to die for me?  Why? 
      "Because I love you", He says.

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."  John 3:16

No comments:

Post a Comment