Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Interesting Creatures


They basically litter the beaches around here!!
So in my stay here, I've had a lot of interesting creatures to see (stinkrays, snake (ok, only 1 so far...and it was a black snake), cool birds (reminds me of when I used to pretend I was a crane when I was little...lie on my stomach with my legs sticking out and flap my arms and my mom would laugh) but none mesmerize me quite as much as the creatures that live in conch shells...
I'm not quite sure if you call them conch, sea snails, or what, but I get a kick out of how Sponge Bob-esque they are...

God MUST have a sense of humor!

can you see the eyeballs sticking out of the bottom of the shell?



eyeballs sticking out the right side...
You can't really see them, but they are in the surf just about a foot or two in...
Here he is turned over so you can see the eyeballs more and the foot!

My other animal I've been quite intrigued with are these little burrowing owls I discovered on a lunch time walk from one of my clinics...
See all the babies in the "burrow"?  These were just out in someone's front yard!
Sometimes they make little noises, but usually follow you with their head and eyes - doing the 'owl' thing and swiveling their head to unnatural angles.


A few other interesting birds I've happened across...though none that make me laugh quite as much as the conch and burrowing owls.
I saw this crane on my blueberry picking excursion!
Mama and baby (there's a 2nd baby around somewhere)


Again, just something about the eyes crack me up - I think it's how they always look like they're surprised - their eyes are wide open and round just like someone just said "BOO!"



Notice the yellow feet!



And this guy I saw at the "Sand Bash" at Ft. Myers beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment