Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Honk for Jesus

So I'm sure many of you ladies out there have the distinct privilege of being honked at when you go out for a run or walk.  Ft. Myers seems to be particularly blessed by a multitude of individuals who take it upon themselves to punctuate your workout with mind jarring blast - in hopes of....  what???  Communicating that they think you're hot, ugly, too fat, too skinny?  Hoping you trip and fall?  That you change directions and chase them down and give them your phone number?  That you break down into tears?

I have never really figured out why this happens, so if anyone would like to enlighten me, I would be forever grateful!

So Sunday after 2 such incidents, I thought about what might allow me to think differently about these situations...aka to think about what would keep me from wanting to think such nasty thoughts about these honkers.  (What can I control vs. what is out of my control)

SOOOOO, I was thinking about how to accomplish this.  Last week the pastor made a point about avoiding temptation is always easier than resisting it, and I tried to think about how I could totally avoid thinking so poorly of the honkers.  Thinking about making a Tshirt that said, "Honk if you think you're an idiot"  Hmmm, that would still make me think poorly of the honkers, even if it did make them look a little foolish.  Then BINGO!  I should make a shirt that says, "Honk for Jesus".  I might get a lot more honking, or a lot less, I don't know, but atleast I could smile and be happy about people making noise of Jesus (even if they are still unaware of what my shirt says, atleast I will be happy about the honks and not frustrated). 

Tips for honking in case you have a legitimate reason:
1. If you're about to run over a pedestrian by all means honk and hold down the horn for a long long time.
2. If you know the person you're about to honk at, also roll down the window and shout their name.
3. If you know the person you're thinking about honking at, but don't know their name, do not honk, just wave really hard and smile.
4. If you're about to honk at someone because they are interesting looking (for whatever reason), DON'T.

1 comment:

  1. You are so funny, Courtney!!! I love you! This made me smile. I know you're probably in DESPERATE need of t-shirts, too... All teasing aside, I think it's a great idea, and you should go for it! But... you'll probably need several so they don't get too stinky from multiple uses. :)

    ReplyDelete