Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Ft. Myers: Initial Thoughts

So with each new rotation, I like to think of some goals for myself in that area.  They might be recreational, occupational, spiritual, friends, or something crazy.  Here are the goals I've come up with so far for being in Ft. Myers.

1. learn to stand up paddleboard (SUP)
2. become better at vestibular rehab (it seems like the doctors are referring a lot of dizzy patients to me!)
3. learn to cook seafood as it is fresh and plentiful here!
4. start swimming more again so I can sign up for a tri again later this year
5. continue memorizing Romans 8 (I'd like to have memorized up to about verse 12 by the time I'm done here)
6. eat lots of fresh fruits and veggies since Florida has a long growing season and it's readily available
7. see a MANATEE!!!

Saturday I picked fresh blueberries at English Lake farm and had a nice talk with the owner about how things grow in Florida.  I thought it was really interesting how some fruit trees actually need cold to grow - such as peaches.  The hybrids that the University of Florida are growing only need 100 hours of 40 deg weather a year, but most peaches need much more than that (200-400 hours/year).  Also, there are only about 3 apple trees that will grow in FL, one of which comes from Israel called the Anna apple.  Who knew?!  He also said his wife grows large long avocados (he held his hands about a foot apart) over in Ft. Lauderdale and they'll be ready in a month or so.  If you know me, you know I love avocados.  I MUST try one of these!!!

Today I'm going to go by a fish market for the first time and try to get something...I'm hoping scallops and some type of fish, maybe Mahi Mahi?  We'll see what they have and if I can do anything with it!!

If you know of anything else I should try while in the Gulf Coast area, let me know!!!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment