Monday, January 28, 2013

Trip to Kindia

So the weekend of Jan 19-20, a group of 11 of us went to Kindia, the 3rd largest town in Guinea, which took us about 3.5 hours to get to (140 km away).  As we started driving out of Conakry, you could start to see mountains (YAY!!), so you know I was pretty happy.

We stayed near the farm where Mercy Ships help teach sustainable agriculture practices, like using animal dung and compost as fertilizer, crop rotation, etc.  It was very pretty.  We also got to try some of the "Miracle Tree" tea that comes from the Moringa tree that is supposed to be helpful for treating malaria (it was neat because one of my day workers had just mentioned it to me the week before) and has a lot of good things in it!  
We got to see a pretty awesome waterfall as well - here's a shot of the ladies!
And the waterfall up close and personal!


So I can't figure out how to make it right side up currently and I'm trying to hurry to get in bed, so that will do for now...  :)
We also got to do a little hiking of Mt. Gangan - so YAY for hiking as well!!  :) 

And of course I have to take a 'back' picture (well, I didn't actually take it since I'm in it, but anyways!)
It's very hazy because of the dust.  It has not rained the entire time I've been here (a month tomorrow!), so it is indeed the dry season (and we got our first batch of mangos on board this week - yay!!)  Anyways, I'm off to bed!  Running at 6:10 am tomorrow and hospital wide devotions at 7:30 make for an early morning!!!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment