Wednesday, November 7, 2012

A little more about Mercy Ships

So I've learned a lot the last couple weeks since being able to email with Nick, the rehab team leader from Mercy Ships.  He is also a PT, so I will not actually be the only PT (YAY!!!), and he will help orient me with learning how to do the Ponseti club foot casting, learning how to read Xrays (there's also a MD that works with us, Dr. Frank, to help make those decisions as well...I don't know if he's always with us, but I think he plays a large part in things), and just generally helping me understand what to do! 

One thing that's different than I thought is we actually see our outpatients OFF the ship - in a big white tent called the Dockside Rehab Unit, that has parallel bars, theraband, plinths, casting supplies, and all those little things that make a PT's heart smile.  :)  And it's air conditioned!  :)  So this has the added bonus of I probably won't feel quite so clausterphobic because I will be going off the ship everyday for work!  We do a lot of club foot serial casting, and we will see a LOT of outpatients who had their ortho surgeries done in the months of Nov and Dec (right now!!) as that's when the ortho surgeons are there.  So 2nd praise, not only will I be working off the ship some, I will also be seeing a lot of outpatient ortho (which is my 1st love when it comes to PT).

I was able to look through the current PT's blog whose spot I will be replacing, and she also had some photos of a group excursion or two to the beach and upcountry where they did some hiking.  So 3rd praise, I might get to do some hiking!!!  :)  (obviously it's a coastal country, so mountains (high point = Mt. Nimba at 5, 700 ft) aren't that high, but still!)  I look forward to getting to explore a little bit on the weekends!

I'm working on the details of my airplane tickets currently, and hope to have that finalized this week!  I am so excited!!! If you'd like to see my official Mercy Ships webpage, and my basic prayer letter, go here!

No comments:

Post a Comment